Thursday, April 3, 2008

Trinity electives

We are required to take six elective courses in Trinity. There were fierce compliants to the school in Feb because many students cannot take the one they like due to limited class capacity. The most critical thing that trigger the discontent is that we need to compete with MFE (Master in Finance) students under the same bidding system for the electives.

We have 120 points to bid six electives, I hate this system because I wonder why we cannot choose whatever we like in particularly we have paid a huge amount of tuition fee. SBS emphasizes that the school is strong at entreprenuership and finance courses while some classmates cannot get what they want.

I am very lucky that I am able to get all my favourite six subjects, so, no compliant from me. It's actually not merely a matter of luck, I also use some strategy i.e. bid at 32 points instead of 30 points in order to beat the people who put 30 or even 31.

I chose the subjects purely according to my interest and relevance to my career. The bad thing is I just noted that I have loads of assignments to do (18 pieces of works within 9 weeks) which may kill me. So, my next strategy is work as lazy as I can so that that I could squeeze more time play and enjoy my last term in Oxford.

Below is the points I allocated and the minimum cut-off points (in bracket) according the the bidding system:

Branding and Communication: 1 (no oversubscribed)
Retailing: 2 (oversubscribed by 9 people but raised capped)
Business in China: 21 (oversubscribed by 6 people but raised capped)
Private Equity: 32 (32 - I marginally bid it! oversubscribed by 60 people)
Merger & Acquisition: 32 (21, oversubscribed by 48 people)
Capital Raising:32 (25 - oversubscribed by 54 people)

No comments: