Sunday, October 21, 2007

Many reading materials


Six core subjects in the Michaelmas Term (1st term) which lasts for only 8 weeks plus 1 week for revision and the last week for exam. Other than the recommended textbooks, there are many additional reading materials and group assignments. Although I believe that it is not easy to fail in exams because there group assignments already represent 30-40% of the marks, I still wish to read as much as I can in order to learn more things.

For example, after taking Decision Science (~ statistics), I recognise that audit sample size of 30J is based on Central Limit Theorem and 5% acceptable variance is within two standard deviation on a normal distribution curve. From Developing Effective Manager, I noted that my inertia to stick to one firm may be due to anchoring bias or escalation of commitment. I find it very interesting to explore the rationale behind my past acts.

As a result of the high volume of reading materials, my life become very simple: attend lessons, read at home or coffee shops, group project discussion, send emails, write blog, attend recruitment or CEO seminars, read yahoo news, listen to RTHK radio or music and go to church. "Special events" include drinks & parties usually during weekends and tour outside Oxford. In order not to be so bored before term break, I plan to play basketball on Friday morning and learn horse riding. I didn't have a work-life balance in Hong Kong and hopefully I could have a more study-life balance in UK.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i love horse riding....u can teach me when u are back to HK

Jenny Hui said...

Actually, I worry that I may afraid of the horses, they are so giant.