Friday, January 4, 2008

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People


More time to read during the term break. Finally, I have finished reading an old book written by Stephen Covey, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". I pick this book because I want to work more effectively, particularly on the paradigm of time efficiency. Stephen taught about many principles, such as "Be Proactive", "Put First Things First", "Think Win/Win", etc. Some of the principles I have heard before, though not yet put into practice.

Anyway, the part I want to share is Stephen's personal note in the final chapter. He said "I believe that there are parts to human nature that cannot be reached by either legislation or education, but require the power of God to deal with. I believe that correct principles are natural laws, and that God, the Creator and Father of us all, is the source of them, and also the source of our conscience." I am deeply moved by the author's beliefs, it reconfirms God's superiority to me.
I found it interesting to study management subjects during MBA course, I've learnt countless theories e.g. Theory X and Y, Expectancy Theory, Goal Setting & Reinforcement Theory, etc. All in all, we are weak and sometimes not reliable, I believe that using the conscience that God has given us, on top of the management skills that we learnt, will be the most trustworthy and effective theory to manage ourselves and the world.

No comments: